Why I like to have a valid First Aid Certificate

 I don't profess to be a  medic of any kind. I do have a thing about First Aid. 

I am not someone who is the quickest or neat at bandages but I have always tried to hold a First Aid certificate since my early 20s, with perhaps one gap of a few years where I did not have one.

In recent months at times my abilities have been questioned and in recent months my First aid at work has been used.

I thought I would say today why I like to have a First aid certificate and first aid in my car ( apart from business reasons,


In my early 20s, I volunteered at a Christian sports and conference centre for a few months. They welcomed guests of all faiths and none. I remember one weekend the conference centre hosted the UK conker competition. (I never knew until that weekend the rules of a qualifying conker!)


Anyway, one weekend a church group from the London area had come up to have their weekend away.

On the Saturday morning during worship there was a dad that came out of the meeting hall for a glass of water and collapsed suddenly as I walked past him.

I wasn't on duty but my supervisor jumped into First aid mode and asked me to see if there was a Doctor or Nurse as or guests by asking someone in the meeting room.

I with a couple of others stood as a human shield as my supervisor and the doctor took turns to do CPR whilst we waited on paramedics.

Sadly on that day a wife lost her husband and 4 children lost their dad.

This took place 33ish years ago.  At that time CPR and defibrillators were not common place in buildings or community access sites,

I remember my boss devastated that her attempts to save the man had failed. I remember her getting tired and asking if I could jump in but she said no as my certificate had expired.

I remember the sounds.

I remember the heaviness in the air for the whole of the weekend for all of the delegates and staff for the rest of the weekend. I remember 4 children and a wife deciding that the weekend would continue and they would stay with their church family at the venue.

Somewhere at that point I decided to try to never be without a first aid certificate.

I could tell you many times when I have used first aid since and I have also been the recipient of the kindness of a stranger when in need.

Having access to a Defibrillator.

Having access to a defibrillator within 3 to 5 minutes of a cardiac arrest can improve a person's survival rate by 50 - 70%.

Well worth having one in the community.

If you want to look into getting one for you community, here is a link

https://www.aeddonate.org.uk/


Have a good day




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's talk about Unseen disability - Life experiences

Approaches in mission

Monday classes at ICC