Pages

Friday 15 May 2009

Being obedient

The LORD will continually guide you
and satisfy you even in sun-baked places.
He will strengthen your bones.
You will become like a watered garden
and like a spring whose water does not stop flowing.
GOD'S WORD® is a copyrighted work of God's Word to the Nations. Quotations are used by permission.

As some of you know, I have just spent 3 weeks in Germany. A lot of Germany, infact all of it was about being obedient. I first heard about the conference last year. Straight away the thought of going to it was burning within me.
I knew I had to go. That feeling remained, as I prayed about it. I shared my thoughts with my husband who also prayed and confirmed it. As a mum with young children however, it was a BIG ask from God.... Three weeks is a long time for wee ones.
As I shared with people what I intended to do, I got a mixed response. Come to think of it, I had mixed emotions - right up to the night before I left, I was having "frank" conversations with God about why He was asking me to go without the family... but I had to be obedient.

In terms of other missionaries, I have not had to uproot my family or gone to an unchurched tribal village where I have had to learn a new language, but the principle of being obedient is the same whether we are at home, overseas, in missions or in the office.

As one of our speakers said at the conference
"even if you are not successful, you must be obedient."

For me part of me going away was simply about being obedient.

We humans like things neat and tidy - organised and structured. The problem is God does things His way, not our way.

I know that some people raised an eyebrow about my 3 week trip. The fact is though I felt I had to do it that way.
It really all boils down to relationship - Our relationship with God and others.
In order to be obedient, I have to be able to be open to God and learn to listen to His voice.
If I had gone with the family or had gone for a week instead of three - I probably would have been at risk of missing part of what God had to teach me.

By valuing my relationship with God we and being obedient to what He asks of me, I do indeed feel that I have been strengthened and well watered.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

kiva